
The second cyclone after Tropical Depression Queenie, which will be named Supertyphoon Seniang, is said to hit Cebu and other areas, PAGASA-Visayas Director Oscar Tabada said via Philstar.
UPDATE: PAGASA is monitoring new LPA to enter PAR by Thursday, Dec. 11, 2014
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration on Saturday, November 29, 2014 announced they are monitoring two weather disturbances which are outside the Philippine area of responsibility.
Once the first low pressure area becomes a tropical cyclone and enters Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR), it will be named “Ruby”. Tabada noted that the second tropical cyclone has a high chance of becoming a supertyphoon. It will be named supertyphoon “Seniang”, once it entered PAR.
Tabada likened the route of the upcoming supertyphoon Seniang to Supertyphoon Pablo, the strongest typhoon that hit Mindanao in 2012. Pablo crossed the southern and central regions of Mindanao, cutting power to two provinces and triggering landslides, which resulted to more than 170,000 people fleeing to evacuation centers
Like supertyphoon Pablo, Seniang originated unusually close to the equator. Pablo became the second-most southerly Category 5 super typhoon, reaching a minimum latitude of 7.4°N on December 3, 2012.
Like Pablo, the low pressure area started last week of November. Supertyphoon Seniang is expected to batter Philippines on December 4 or 5.
Meanwhile, PAGASA confirmed Monday, December 1, 2014 that the new weather disturbance has been spotted early Monday morning outside the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR). It added that the said low pressure area (LPA) was estimated based on all available data at 2,000 km east of Mindanao but is not yet affecting country, according to a report from DZMM.
comments