
President Rodrigo Duterte has declared martial law in Mindanaol amid violence caused by rebellions in Marawi City Tuesday, May 23.
Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella said in Moscow that the declaration is good for 60 days.
On Friday, the President, during the 33rd Philippine Coast Guard Auxiliary National Convention held at the SMX Convention, SM Lanang, Davao City already warned declaration of martial law if the rebels would continue the bloodshed in different parts of Mindanao despite the warnings he had been given.
“I already warned you. Please don’t force my hand to kill you. I hate to do it. I do not want to do it. But if there will be loss of lives without any valid reason at all and just because of the pleasure of killing innocent lives, I will use my authority against you,” Duterte said.
Sun Star reported that the President recalled previous incidents where improvised explosive devices (IEDs) were planted by a group of rebels in a national high school and the bombing of a museum, both in Zamboanga City.
“I do not want to name a color, group, or religion but you know who you are. You know I already warned you after what happened in Zamboanga,” Duterte said.
comments